Wednesday, February 28, 2018

{1.22.18 - 1.28.18}

I love my little sioux chef  - even if the only reason he's on the counter helping is because he refuses to not be held these days. How cute is that crooked little smile, though!? 
I think it's safe to say the only new snow clothes the girls will need for next year (and possibly a couple years down the road) are boots! Alya didn't even have to be asked to pull up her hood so I could see her face! (I love when they don't fight pictures!) 
He's found my phone and he loves it. He knows how to get himself into the games and he's getting so good at playing them without my help, too. There is one puzzle where he is given a few different sea animals and then he's supposed to drag them into their silhouette and I probably shouldn't be surprised at how quickly he has picked it up! He's so good at it!
January 27, 2017
About a week and a half ago, Mo stopped eating his dog food, so we knew things were moving downhill for him. We still managed to get him to eat some soft meats so we started cooking old meat we had in our freezer for him and giving him the leftovers off our plates, but even that only worked for a few days for him. He was going downhill much faster than Matthew or I imagined he would. It seemed like overnight he was just skin and bone and he was quickly loosing energy. It even got to the point where he wouldn't follow Matthew out of a room anymore until he was either absolutely sure he was done in that room, or until he got too uncomfortable in the spot that he was laying. He started getting really weak and almost couldn't stand without wobbling and he had a really hard time walking on our new flooring without his paws slipping around underneath him. We could tell that he was having a hard time breathing and eventually swallowing and he just could not get comfortable, but we really struggled with when would be the right time for him. On January 27 when I woke up I knew that he knew. At one point during the day he just laid his head in my lap for about 20 minutes and we shared a pretty special moment that I hope I remember for the rest of my life. I knew he was saying goodbye to me. Later, when I was getting the kids ready for bed and changing Axel's diaper, Mo came over and was able to say his goodbyes to Axel. After the kids were in bed Matthew was able to take Mo to one of their favorite hiking spots and that is where he is laid to rest. 
We love you Mo and miss you terribly! Thank you for being such a good dog and for being a part of our family!

No comments:

Post a Comment