Thursday, June 26, 2014

A Space For Them

The baby girls have a new room! I have been wanting to do this for so long, now! Although, I am glad that things worked out the way they did...for the most part. Because we didn't have their room done when the girls were born, they had to sleep in our room - which was really nice. (Everyone tried to tell me I wouldn't want them downstairs when they were born but I didn't believe them.) It was so much easier to get up in the middle of the night when I only had to move a few feet! Then, when they were ready for their own room, I wouldn't let Matthew move them downstairs because I really wanted to get their room painted before they moved into it. So Matthew and I slept in their room while they stayed in our room for about 3 months. Then, while we were painting their room (which took us about two weeks) we got to sleep on couches or the floor. But it was so worth it!
So I had been making plans for their room for quite a while. I think a lot of people thought I was a little crazy when I told them what my plans were, but I knew it would be dang cute!
Anyway, I finally found some time to get some paint to get started.
The room used to be a kind of purplish blue...I really hated the color!
So Matthew and I got to work...mostly Matthew because I was usually feeding, changing or playing with babies...


 While Matthew was painting, I went to work on making a stencil for the polka dots on the wall. We got a poster board, and I measured and traced some dots. Then I had to cut out each circle with an exact-o knife...which was kind of a pain! Once Matthew finished painting and I had the stencil done, I did a few practice circles in the girls' closet until I figured out the best way to paint them.




While I was working on the polka dots, Matthew was replacing outlets and outlet covers, and staining furniture and making shelves to put in the windowsills.
I then made some panel curtains out of a sheet (with some advice from Matthew's mom and a lot of help from my mom.)
Matthew installed the shelves, hung new blinds, hung some Ikea spice racks for book shelves, and moved in all the furniture. We finally got all their pictures hung, and other than a couple of small things that I want to do in their room (a Dr. Seuss quote/picture over their books, and maybe some big pom-poms or some kind of mobile in a corner) their room is complete!






 And I absolutely LOVE it!!!! Thanks Matthew!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment